Many people are fascinated by the night sky and are interested in stories about our continuing exploration of our Solar System and Universe. This course has been developed to build on that interest and to give an introduction to the subject of astronomy. The course will enable students to understand our position in the Universe, the movements of planets and stars, the cycles in the night and daytime sky, and the way in which we use technology to observe and interact with space. Students will follow an incredible story of how scientists, from ancient civilisations to the modern day, have used their imagination and carefully recorded visual measurement to explore the Universe in which we live.
As part of an Astronomy GCSE you need to have two observations signed off with your exam centre, HME will support you with completing these in terms of knowing what to do as well as offering feedback and guidance with the write ups. However, it is your responsibility to complete these independently and arrange with your exam centre regarding having these officially ‘signed off.’ Not all exam centres offer this service so we strongly suggest communicating with your exam centre and potentially looking around at different centre options before signing up for this course to ensure you have a plan in place. We can facilitate all observations with Tutors and Exams centres and can develop a process with other exam centres too.
(Our “Intro to Astronomy” short course is a good foundation course/taster course for this GCSE)
(This course does use a textbook: GCSE (9-1) Astronomy – A Guide for Pupils and Teachers (5th edition) ISBN 978 0 9956483 0 2. There is no specialist equipment needed)
Follow this link for the Edexcel exam board page and syllabus: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/astronomy-2017.html
This is a 1 year/30 weeks course which covers all of the syllabus content as well as exam skills/exam preparation.
All tutor-led GCSE/IGCSE courses always:
○ cover the full exam board syllabus content
○ include weekly online tutorials (live/recorded), available 24/7 for the duration of the course
○ include a wide range of multi-media support materials
○ include a range of weekly assignments (including exam questions)
○ feature personal and detailed homework feedback (including specific advice on improvements/exam skills) on all homework submitted
○ include weekly online ‘live’ drop-in sessions for learners (just turn up to as many as you need) to discuss any topics/questions/issues
○ include a range of specifically-developed, unique and proprietary detailed supporting content that is available nowhere else
○ feature full and complete tutor support for the entire duration of the course
○ cover revision and exam skills as standard!
(Developed for completion within 1 ‘academic’ year …but … flexible and adaptable for shorter or longer timeframes)
This course has a required textbook.
~ ~ ~
GCSE/IGCSE 1year courses are available in 2 formats (‘Live’ or ‘Flexible/Recorded) as young people often have a preferred way of learning; this makes it easy for you to tailor a course to your own needs. For more details about the ‘Live’ format and FlexibleTiming/Recorded’ formats … link to the Formats page
TO ENROL IN THIS COURSE – This course is available to start:
* Online,Live format– starting every September (minimum enrolment of 10 needed) (early enrolment to reserve a space is recommended, as this course fills very early)
* Online, FlexibleTiming/Recorded format– starting every September … will include bonus ‘live’ tutorial sessions at the start of each term, for a good overview of what is to come, advice, q&a’s, etc. (early enrolment to reserve a space is recommended, as this course fills very early)
For course fees, discounts, payment plans, and to enrol (or get further info) just follow this little … link to our FAQ page